Friday, June 14, 2013

Sport Billy

With a massive head and incredibly ugly visage, Sport Billy came onto the Subbuteo scene in 1981. Aimed at the younger player it was a flop and sold badly. It didn't last long, only until 1982.

I was desperate for a Sport Billy Football box set as a kid, even though I was probably too old at the time. I had a paper round and cash to burn (that's not true actually, but I'm building this up a little), I remember gazing at the catalogue wishing I had one. The strange thing is I never, 'NEVER' saw it in a shop.

I imagine the 12 year old me would have been very disappointed had he managed to get his hands on a set. The reason being, the players are garbage - they are top heavy and impossible to flick more than a few centimetres. They will not be swerved, under any circumstances, believe me I've tried.

You only appreciate their size, they are four inches high, when compared with a regular HW. Most striking though is how ugly they are - they are hideous, they shock me and are enough to put off any kid. They are nice to hold though, weighty, sturdy, very satisfying. If only their faces weren't so very, very ugly.

...did I mention they are really ugly?



Sport Billy - ugly bleeders
Sport Behemoth (Billy)

1 comment:

  1. i have 17 of these players found in my loft forgot all about them in mint condition and pondering if they would sell on ebay 6 yellow based ones and 11 red based ones two sets i bought for my sons many moons ago i just wonder what they worth each
    regards Ronaldo donalfonzo69@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete