Tuesday, June 11, 2013

NGD Solo League - Fazakerley FC

NGD will have a second division next season. I decided on the six new clubs months ago and have painted them up.  However, recently I created a team that caused me to have a rethink. I like my new team so much, that I decided to elect them into the league in place of another club. The team that failed to make the cut will have to remain a non-league side, for at least another season.

I was painting this team and wasn't sure where it was going. I had mixed a nice shade of blue and was keen to use it up. It could quite easily have ended up as a Ref 210 - Hambuger FC, the two strips, (as can be seen below) are obviously very similar. In order to give them a personality of their own I plumped for a pink shirt with white trim (it's actually much nicer in the flesh, the flash has done it no favours). I felt that the pink shirt gave it a retro feel, plus it looks killer on the base combination.

The name 'Fazakerley' just popped into my head after I based them up. So, as name and strip seemed to fit - a new team was born. Fazakerley is a suburb of Liverpool and in the north of the city, near Rice Lane. It was here that William Keeling's opened a factory to produce his table soccer game 'Newfooty'. Keeling's game was a rival of Subbuteo in the 1950's and is worthy of further discussion on the site...but not here and now. 

Fazakerley FC

I discovered that Everton wore a very similar kit in the 1900's - the similarity between the Goodison Park outfit and Fazakerley FC is purely coincidental however. The Toffee's strip, reproduced here. is taken from the excellent Historical Football Kits website (without permission). 

Everton FC - 1886-87

Fazakerley FC make their debut tonight in the NGD Solo Cup. In case you are wondering, the unlucky club who miss out on making their league debut are St Botolph.

2 comments:

  1. Like these Will, coincidentally I'm going to paint a generic away kit for my own solo league and have a pink inner/dark blue outer combination for this purpose, so expect to create something similar. Will post on the ISF when they're completed.

    Enjoying the blog

    Cheers Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Matt

    Thanks for the comment.

    It's a great looking combo that's for sure. Pink seems a little less 'out there' than previously. I've seen it crop up a number of times in the past few seasons. Fazakerley got off to winning ways wearing it in the Solo Cup...perhaps it is lucky too?

    I look forward to seeing your team on the ISF.

    ReplyDelete