Friday, June 28, 2013

Presenting Reference 170 - Burnley FC

I wanted to do something a little bit special for my 100th post and decided what better way to celebrate than to show the reason why my Subbuteo passion ignited.

It was 1979 and I had been playing Subbuteo for a few months. The first items I had bought were the Club Edition, complete with red and blue zombies and two C100 teams, Liverpool and Norwich.

It was my birthday and I had some money, so I took a trip to the shop were I bought most of my Subbuteo.  'Herbert Leather' was actually a cobbler but he sold Subbuteo on the side. I'd gone along with my either my brother and mum (maybe both) and I remember being short of time because we had to be somewhere.

I looked at the shop catalogue and picked a number of references that I fancied. I looked at four or five teams before being shown the reference 170. As soon as I saw it I fell in love. From the large sky blue 'V' on the front of the shirt to the bright base combination of claret outer/sky inner - they were perfect.

Although at that time I was already well and truly hooked on football or 'togger' as I called it Subbuteo just another game, albeit one of my favourites. When the clarets came on the scene the love affair really began.

The actual team I bought on that day is pictured below - it is very play worn as it was such a favourite. This kit is, in my opinion, a classic. The size of the 'V' varies from team to team, these are massive and fairly messy -  a few of them even run onto the shorts.

I'm still hoping for a reintroduction of this kit to the Turf. We can only hope.

Reference 170 = Burnley 'V' shirt
Reference 170 = Burnley with Panini Stickers
Claret and Blue Army

Check out Burnley's latest playing strip at The Claret's Website.





No comments:

Post a Comment