Thursday, December 5, 2013

Solo FA Cup 70-71 - History Part 2

As I wrote in a recent post planning the Solo Cup has been a lot trickier than I expected. I anticipated from the start that I would have to do some research and then paint up some teams. What has proven more difficult, however, is making decisions about which original HW Subbuteo teams to use to represent the different teams. There are far fewer teams that are exact matches in the SSG catalogues than I originally thought.

An example of this is illustrated by today's post showing six first division teams from the 1970-71 season. The Arsenal, Blackpool and Chelsea teams are all original Subbuteo teams - however, none of them match the teams they correspond to exactly - as the 'real life' teams had trim variations. It has been a major headache and one which I have approached on a team by team basis.

I have shyed away from 2nd kits totally and at this stage haven't even worked out what colour clashes are thrown up by the draw. I will do the necessary research for each tie and this will be ongoing until the completion of the competition. When information is not available (usually for lower league and non-league sides) I will either use the most historically accurate information I have i.e. a 60's or 80's kit or will use a neutral kit i.e. all white, all yellow.

Discussion of these decision making processes may indicate that taking on this project has been a negative experience - but that couldn't be further from the truth. I have really enjoyed my research and preparation and can't wait to start playing the competition. Any frustration generated has merely been because I want to get on playing the fixtures and not just talking about it.

Thanks to those people who have contacted me directly offering support. Please keep the comments coming I really appreciate you taking the time to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment